God has truly blessed us!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, March 13, 2009

Chance of Twins on Clomid - 50%? 10%?

When my doc first mentioned Clomid after several months of TTC, she told us that there's a 50% chance of having twins on Clomid. She said a couple of her friends that have taken it did have twins. DH and I looked at each other...

It funny because we've talked about it before. Twins don't run in either of our families but I admit to having said it would be great to have twins...two in one shot! Things we said regarding having kids was always said without a second thought or sometimes even half joking. But after hearing about there being a 50% shot from my doc I had to take a step back and think things through.

I mean, sure, if we were to get pregnant with twins naturally and without meds we would be thrilled (although scared at first!) But actually taking a medication that the doc says has a pretty high chance of resulting in twins...well that was different.

We were faced with the decision to try to wait it out another few months or start Clomid at the start of the next cycle. We left that doctor's office having decided to wait another few "cycles" (although they weren't actual cycles if I was not ovulating - which I wasn't).

I went online to find out and I realized that many sites said Clomid increases the chance by 10% (not 50%) unless you have a family history of twins then it would be higher. I also went on chat boards to find out what other doctors told women about Clomid. The ones I read up on all said 10%. After discussing it further over the next few days and talking to my brother about it, we decided to start Clomid.

As of right now, I'm waiting until March 24th before starting Provera and then Cycle #1 of Clomid. And whether we get pregnant with one or two...we'll be so excited to be starting our journey to becoming parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment