God has truly blessed us!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My egg retrieval experience

Yesterday was my egg retrieval. I'll try to describe the experience as best I can (for those readers who are curious).

I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight the night before. I couldn't wear makeup, jewelry , or any fragrances including deodorant and hairspray. We got to the center at 8:30am and registered. I alomost had a little heart attack when the lady said our insurance was showing that we were rejected for IVF but then realized she had entered some incorrect info. It went through ok, thank God!

So we were in the waiting room for about 30-40 minutes before they called me in. They put a hospital bracelet on me (I don't think I've ever had that before). The nurse had me change into a gown (they made me really comfy with a robe and some socks. They took my blood pressure, amd asked some questions. The anesthesiologist came in and introduced himself and then my RE came in to say hi and chat for a minute or two. Then she walked me in to the procedure room and there were a bunch of other people there. I met the embryologist too.

It was kind of dim. They took my robe and I had to hold my gown closed behind me. I laid down on the bed and they had me stretch my arms straight out. On one arm they took my blood pressure again while the anesthesiologist put my IV in. My RE came then and told me I'd be falling asleep soon and that the next thing I'd remember is waking up in recovery. She was right!

I woke up in a large room. I wasn't in pain or anything. I still had my IV in my arm. I think I took a couple of short naps (maybe 5-10 minutes each...at least that's how it felt to me). The nurse then came and took my blood pressure again and checked my IV and took my pulse. She said something like, so 23 eggs?! I was like, what? She said, yeah they told you before how many were retrieved....23. Ok, I definitely didn't remember that. 23 eggs!! She pulled up my gown while I was laying there to check the gigantic pad they had placed between my legs to check for bleeding then she helped me put on these weird hospital gauzy underwear. Then she wheeled me into another room where she helped me off the stretcher and into a chair.

They had crackers and juice waiting for me (oh, and tylenol). Another nurse then took my blood pressure yet again and she called my DH in to sit with me. After a while she said I'd have to pee to be allowed to go home so I peed and she had to check the toilet before I flushed to see if there was blood or anything. And she had to check my pad (both were clean). She then took my IV out and then I changed and went home!

I closed my eyes the whole ride home and felt woozy. I was also feeling some abdominal discomfort so I was kind of walking hunched over up the stairs into my apartment. I immediately went to the bedroom and laid down. Unfortunately, I felt sick right away and promptly threw up my crackers and cranberry juice into the toilet. I felt a little better after that but overall, I felt like I had a slight hangover all day. Also, whenever I'd go pee I would feel strong pressure in my abdomen after wards. I basically stayed in bed all day and napped on and off. I barely got up to do much at all.

I had to take Doryx and Medrol for the first time that night which are pills. The Doryx was fine but the Medrol tastes disgusting! Take it with juice or something if you ever have to take that med not with water like I did. Yuck!!

I also had to do my first PIO shot that night. Oh boy, the anticipation was so horrible I was whining like a child. DH started getting a little nervous about the amount of time that the needle was exposed to the air while waiting for me to turn around. Finally I turned around, bit down on a throw pillow, and he'd done it. It hurt a little coming out actually. I rubbed it a little and put a heating pad on it but I don't think it was enough because I am a little sore there today.

No comments:

Post a Comment